Pages

Friday, May 25, 2012

Swimmer Phelps Aims for More Olympic Glory

This article contains news and quotes from Olympic champion Michael Phelps. Phelps describes his achievements as a swimmer and his plans for the 2012 London Olympics. After reading the article include a short summary or an answer to discussion question in the comments below.

"Michael Phelps describes experiencing burn-out. Burn-out is a physical, mental and psychological condition that can happen to anyone. Burn-out occurs when you spend too much time doing something difficult. Even if you enjoy it you become so tired you don't want to do it.

Have you ever experienced Burnout? What were you doing? How did you know that you were burnt-out and what did you do to overcome it?"

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes enjoyed watching swmming. there is one of the famous swimming athlete in Korea. so I knew anout Michael Phelps. I think every athlete work hard so they feel like tired and bored. I agree that they are really burnout their work and I also have experienced burnout as well. When I study English, I feel like burnout. it is really stressing me out and it is gettng more and more irritated. So I somrtimes hang out or talk with my friends and eat delicious food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I burned myself out yesterday. I had a pretty intense life in this passed week. I worked almost 30 hours last week, then I only had Saturday off, and I tried to finish all my homework in one day. However I didn't make it. There were lots of assignments due this week. Then I worked 6 hour per day form Sunday to Wednesday. I didn't get home till almost 10 everyday and I still need to work on assignments. I was glad that I turn them in on time, but I didn't get enough sleep. Yesterday I had a shorter shift. I decided to go home and take a short nap before going to work. However I couldn't get up and end up called in sick. I am happy that my shift was short, and I didn't waste many sick/vacation hours. I know my life will like this until finishing college because I can not give up my job. I need to manage my time more wisely and effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in high school, there were some times that they gave me a lot of homework, tests, extra classes and by that time I attended English classes at night. So, I was burn-out; I didn't have much time to sleep and I was mentally tired.
    To overcome it, I took time to go for a walk after finishing the most important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already knew about Michael Phelps. When I saw him in a television at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, I was amazed at his swimming skills. And I read about burnout. Sometimes I experience burn-out. First, when I was on diet to loose my weight, I felt burn-out. Actually, when weight didn't loose anymore, I felt it. Every time that happens, I got exercise consistently. In additon, these days studying English makes me feel burnout. So, I watch some movies in order to have an interest in English.

    Miyeon Lee

    ReplyDelete